- Edmonton is one of a third of cities with an off-leash dog park plan.
- With nearly 8 community gardens per 100,000 people, Edmonton is above the median of 5.
- Edmonton is one of 56% of cities that offers a community park group program.
- Edmonton is piloting driverless electric lawn mowers that are programmable, self docking and will potentially run on solar power, as well as autonomous snow blowers.
- In winter 2020, the annual Flying Canoë Volant Festival celebrating Métis and francophone culture saw participants fly down Gallagher Park’s hill in canoes as part of a “Canadian triathlon” that also involved log-sawing and axe-throwing.
- In May 2020, reopening dog parks was one of the first steps Edmonton took in easing its COVID-19 restrictions.
ha parkland per 1000 people
6177 ha of total parkland
of total parkland is natural area
1856 total ha
of parkland is environmentally significant/protected
130 total ha
of total city land is parkland
78310 ha of total city area
Community gardens/urban farms
Parkland provision goal (distance to park)
or a 10 minute walk
volunteers per 1000 people
community park groups
Policy to waive permit fees for groups with financial need?
Community park group program
Parks operating budget per person
Total parks capital budget¹
Provincially legislated tools available for parkland development
10% of development site or cash-in-lieu
¹ Excludes staff salaries/wages.
Edmonton underwent a municipal annexation in 2019. The city also experienced a heavy rain year, which led to $1.8 million overspent on turf operations.
Parks Master Plan
Don't See your City on the List?
Twenty-seven cities participated in this year's report and we hope more will join us next year.Learn how to participate in 2021