- With 15 volunteers per 100,000 residents, Mississauga has almost double the median of 8.
- Mississauga is one of 63% of cities with a citywide park system master plan updated within the last 10 years.
- Mississauga is one of about a quarter of cities that offer a formal park volunteer program, a grant program, and a policy to waive permit fees for groups showing financial need.
- New nearly 3.6-hectare Saigon Park opening in 2020 honours Vietnamese culture and history, and also contains stormwater management facilities.
- The city launched a beach mat pilot project in June 2019 to improve accessibility at two of the City's popular beaches in Jack Darling Memorial Park and Lakefront Promenade Park.
- Guided by the city’s Smart Cities Master Plan, the iParks pilot project will build nine Mississauga parks with Wi-Fi, allowing for digital screens, smart furniture, and more.
ha parkland per 1000 people
2912 ha of total parkland
of total parkland is natural area
1113 total ha
of total city land is parkland
29243 ha of total city area
Community gardens/urban farms
Parkland provision goal (ha per 1000 people)
Distance to Tableland park: 800 m Distance to Downtown park: 400-800 m
Parks operating budget per person
Total parks capital budget
Provincially legislated tools available for parkland development
Community Benefits Charge¹
¹This tool was introduced in 2019 and is still under review. Previous Provincial legislation allowed 5% of development site or cash-in-lieu. The City of Mississauga has a policy in place to designate ESAs, however the data for ESAs within the municipal parks system is unavailable.
Park Master Plans
Related Mississauga Stories
Don't See your City on the List?
Twenty-seven cities participated in this year's report and we hope more will join us next year.Learn how to participate in 2021