- At nearly 25 hectares, Prince George has the highest ratio of parkland per 1,000 people.
- Prince George is one of 70% of cities that offers a community grant program for park projects.
- At 46%, Prince George sits at the average ratio of parkland that is natural area.
- In 2019, the first downtown park since 1994 opened as Wood Innovation Square.
- A local seven-year old girl helped the city design a new playground by surveying other playgrounds in the city.
- About three quarters of Prince George’s ball diamonds and sport fields are jointly maintained with non-profit sports associations.
ha parkland per 1000 people
1913 ha of total parkland
of total parkland is natural area
876 total ha
of parkland is environmentally significant/protected
238 total ha
of total city land is parkland
32900 ha of total city area
Community gardens/urban farms
Parkland provision goal (ha per 1000 people)
Community Park: 1.0 ha per 1000 peopleNeighbourhood Park: 1.2 ha per 1000 people
Policy to waive permit fees for groups with financial need?
Community grant program
Parks operating budget per person
Total parks capital budget
Provincially legislated tools available for parkland development
5% of development site or cash-in-lieu
¹Source: 2018 Statistics Canada
Park Master Plans
Don't See your City on the List?
Twenty-seven cities participated in this year's report and we hope more will join us next year.Learn how to participate in 2021