- With nearly 23 community gardens per 100,000 people, Red Deer is tied with North Vancouver with the highest ratio.
- At 20 hectares per 1,000 people, Red Deer has the second highest ratio of parkland per population.
- At nearly 20%, Red Deer has the highest percentage of city land area reserved for parks.
- Red Deer held weekly pop-up spray parks to engage the community in neighbourhood parks in summer 2019.
- Red Deer won the parks excellence award at the 2019 Alberta Recreation & Parks Association conference in light of the city’s leading work renovating Discovery Canyon.
- As COVID-19 rules were often framed in terms of what residents can’t do, in May 2020 Red Deer wrote up positive guidelines of what residents *can *do, encouraging them to (safely) get out into parks.
ha parkland per 1000 people
2019 ha total parkland
of total parkland is natural area
990 total ha
of total city land is parkland
10701 ha of total city area
Community gardens/urban farms
Parkland provision goal (ha per 1000 people)
Distance to park: 400 m
volunteers per 1000 people
community park groups
Policy to waive permit fees for groups with financial need?
Community park group program
Parks operating budget per person
Total parks capital budget
Provincially legislated tools available for parkland development
10% of development site or cash-in-lieu¹
¹Environmental Reserves taken in accordance with the Municipal Government Act also contribute to the City's parkland development. Red Deer offers special policy protection to environmentally significant areas through the A2 Environmental Preservation District (not parks-specific). A major windstorm in Red Deer in 2017 has required continued clean-up, including this year.
Don't See your City on the List?
Twenty-seven cities participated in this year's report and we hope more will join us next year.Learn how to participate in 2021