- With about 10 community gardens per 100,000 people, Victoria has nearly double the median.
- At 44%, Victoria is above average in percentage of parkland that is under special policy protection for sensitive ecosystems.
- Victoria is one of 63% of cities with a citywide park system master plan updated within the last 10 years.
- A new 1.2-hectare waterfront park is being developed at Laurel Point, thanks in part to a transfer of land from the federal government.
- Victoria is promoting citizen stewardship of its urban forest by aiming to plant 5,000 trees in 2020 as part of the UN Trees in Cities Challenge.
- To enhance food security during the COVID-19 pandemic, Victoria assigned parks staff to grow up to 75,000 food plants to be distributed to residents in need.
ha parkland per 1000 people
209 ha total parkland
of total parkland is natural area
91 total ha
of parkland is environmentally significant/protected
91 total ha
of total city land is parkland
1947 ha of total city area
Community gardens/urban farms
Parkland provision goal (distance to park)
community park groups
Policy to waive permit fees for groups with financial need?
Community grant program
Parks operating budget per person
Total parks capital budget
Provincially legislated tools available for parkland development
5% of development site or cash-in-lieu
¹Source: 2018 Capital Regional District.
Victoria is making a new investment of $858,000 annually to expedite implementation of the Urban Forest Master Plan.
Don't See your City on the List?
Twenty-seven cities participated in this year's report and we hope more will join us next year.Learn how to participate in 2021