- At 43%, Waterloo is above average in percentage of parkland that is under special policy protection for sensitive ecosystems.
- Waterloo is one of 56% of cities that offers a community park group program.
- At 56%, Waterloo is above average in ratio of parkland that is natural area.
- Waterloo is developing its first woonerf, or ‘living street’, in the Northdale neighbourhood, which will include enhanced public space, trees and vegetation, and possibly a snow-melting system.
- Waterloo’s annual Lumen festival of light, art, and technology uses participatory art installations in parks to engage communities with public space in new and non-traditional ways.
- Following the installation of an artist-designed community harvest table that seats 200 in Waterloo Park, the city is expanding the harvest table initiative to other parks.
ha parkland per 1000 people
946 ha total parkland
of total parkland is natural area
530 total ha²
of parkland is environmentally significant/protected
405 total ha
of total city land is parkland
6400 ha of total city area
Community gardens/urban farms
Parkland provision goal (ha per 1000 people)
Parks operating budget per person
Total parks capital budget
Provincially legislated tools available for parkland development
Community Benefits Charge³
¹Source: 2017 Statistics Canada. ²Increase from 2019 due to updated information. ³This tool was introduced in 2019 and is still under review. Previous Provincial legislation allowed 5% of development site or cash-in-lieu.
Don't See your City on the List?
Twenty-seven cities participated in this year's report and we hope more will join us next year.Learn how to participate in 2021