- At 36%, Winnipeg is above average in percentage of parkland that is under special policy protection for sensitive ecosystems.
- Winnipeg is one of a third of cities with an off-leash dog park plan.
- Winnipeg is one of 56% of cities that offers a community park group program.
- A 2019 audit of Winnipeg’s park spaces found nearly 60% were in good or very good condition.
- The Healing Trails project is adding story-based Indigenous art and signage to Winnipeg's network of public trails to increase visibility of Indigenous languages and culture.
- The Downtown Winnipeg BIZ brought pop-up parks and pop-up public washrooms to the city’s public spaces in summer 2019.
ha parkland per 1000 people
2994 ha total parkland
of total parkland is natural area
1,084 total ha
of parkland is environmentally significant/protected
1,084 total ha²
of total city land is parkland
46400 ha of total city area
Community gardens/urban farms
volunteers per 1000 people
Policy to waive permit fees for groups with financial need?
Community park group program
Parks operating budget per person
Total parks capital budget
¹2018 population. ²Winnipeg protects natural areas in parks through the Ecologically Significant Natural Lands Strategy. The policy uses a broader definition of sensitive lands that encompasses any natural area within the park system.
related Winnipeg stories
Don't See your City on the List?
Twenty-seven cities participated in this year's report and we hope more will join us next year.Learn how to participate in 2021